16 December 2013

Review: Lush Mint Julips Lip Scrub.




I don't go to Baskin Robbins that often. And in rare times when I do, I ask for a flavour of ice-cream that isn't available anywhere else where I live - Chocolate Mint . You cannot find it anywhere else here, sadly. Trust me, I have searched high and low because I do not like paying such an unreasonable amount of money on ice-cream. My friends, the two or three that I have managed not to push away, often go for the more exotic chocolate flavours. Even le girlfriend cannot comprehend my love affair with this particular flavour of ice-cream. She says that it tastes like toothpaste. Now, now. I don't go around saying that the chocolate flavour that she likes tastes like Bournvita. Although, now that I think about it, her argument will probably earn more supporters than mine. Moving right along.



Now, I hadn't heard of this lip scrub prior to showing up at the Lush store. I had heard about Bubblegum and Popcorn and had my mind set on buying the latter. But when I opened this one, it reminded me of my favorite ice-cream and since mint is one of my most favourite things ever, I was sold.



The utility of  a lip scrub is that you give your lips a mini spa. You exfoliate the dead cells off it and make it baby-butt smooth. You could very much make your own lip scrub. You just need some petroleum jelly and some sugar.You first take a plastic or any small (or big, whatever you wish) container and put some petroleum jelly or Vaseline in it. Sprinkle it with fine or normal sugar, add a dollop of honey and mix it well and you're set.  You could also make it with olive oil and add some sort of fragrance oil, if you please. The possibilities are endless. It's been tried and tested. I had made one a long time ago and it lasted me for ages. 

Similarly, with this lip scrub, I don't think I will run out anytime soon. Not for ages and ages, really. The quantity is only 25 gm packaged in an adorable little glass container. The container is solid, strong glass with a black top. It lasts for about 14 months since manufacturing and the exact expiration date is usually at the bottom of the product along with the cartoon face of the person who made your scrub. My scrub was hand-made by Judo. So, yes, thank you, Judo, for doing such an amazing job. You just open the top off, scoop a little bit and 'scrub and buff your lips to softness, lick off the excess and then apply your favourite Lush Lip Balm'. What I do is scrub my lips with it and wipe it off with a tissue or with water (licking it off is very tempting but I try not to indulge) and then apply a balm. I feel that if I scrub my lips, use a good lip balm and then a lipstick or stain, it lasts longer. Mint Julips is full of fresh peppermint and sweet castor sugar. The peppermint here is responsible for the strange, tickle-inducing sensation.



The fragrance of this invigorating. A blast of minty goodness with hints of the fragrance of a scoop of mint chocolate ice-cream. If Mint Julips was a chocolate, it would taste like After Eight (read more about After Eight here). Ingredients include Castor Sugar , Organic Jojoba Oil, Vanilla Extract, Tagetes Oil, Peppermint Oil etc. Since the sugar used here is castor sugar and not normal, everyday sugar, the application is smoother and better. After wiping (or licking) your lips go back to feeling soft and the natural and original tinge of your lips get back in focus. Check out the other variants like Popcorn, Bubblegum and the new winter-edition Santa for similar results.

 The only possible down-side of this product is the price. The price of one lip scrub is $8.95 - $9.95, with Mint Julips costing $9.95, approximately 615 INR. I believe I paid 675 INR for this guy. I just can't seem to recall. But, I kind of believe it's worth it since it does have a fair amount of product in it and the packaging is rather strong. Overall, I would definitely recommend it to anyone and everyone who cares or wants to care about their lips. If you can't seem to wrap your mind around buying one of these, I understand. Just DIY it! 

Until next time,
take care.
~AB.