18 May 2014

Review: MAC Pro Longwear Paint Pot - Soft Ochre.


Kon'nichiwa! Last time around, I mentioned that I'd start off my posts with a greeting - so, there you have it. Of course, it's in Japanese. Mostly because I tend to speak quite a bit of Japanese and Korean along with my native languages. I am nowhere near being fluent in them but I do aspire to be. Anyway, this isn't a post about my love for languages; it's a post about my newest obsession.

I had been eyeing the MAC Pro Longwear Paint Pots for sometime now. I picked one up earlier this month at the MAC store at Express Avenue Mall in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. Now, this is the description of the Paint Pots on the official MAC website: "A highly pigmented eye colour that goes on creamy but dries to an intense, vibrant finish. Long-wearing, colourfast. Creates seamless coverage without weight or caking. Blends smoothly over the lids. Cream-based, can be mixed with M·A·C shadows and liners." Check out more colours and details here.



What you can necessarily do with this is use it alone on your eyelids or as a primer to make your eye makeup last longer and without any creases. I use this as a primer as opposed to applying it alone mainly because my eyelids are a pain-in-the-neck being hooded and discoloured, at the same time. I layer some eyeshadows over it and what it does is - it makes the eyeshadow more vibrant, last longer and just be amazing, without any creases. 'Soft Ochre' is a yellow beige shade, which makes it perfect to be used as a primer for any kind of look - be it something very basic or something very unique and dramatic. I believe there are 23 shades in the range, starting from very basic shades like 'Soft Ochre' and 'Painterly'(nude beige) to bright ones like 'Clearwater' (sea foam) and dark ones like 'Blackground' (black-gray with multi-colour). They cost ₹1450 for 5 grams of product. Be careful to tie the caps of the Paint Pots tight or else it may dry up fairly quickly. 

I find that the formula is very similar to the Maybelline Color Tattoos (which are ₹350 for 4 grams) and they almost serve the same purpose. You can also use the Color Tattoos alone or choose to layer other eyeshadows over them. However, since most of the Color Tattoos, with the exception of one, that too, an orange shade, have a metallic finish, it's a little difficult to use it everyday and get away with it. 


The Paint Pot is highly blend-able and it has kind of made things a lot easier for me, makeup-wise. I no longer have to worry about my eyeshadow smudging or creasing. When I do use eyeshadows for other looks, that is. I normally just do Droopy/Puppy eyes and what I have found is that the Paint Pot even helps me out with that. Hence, everything is good in my books. Having hooded eyes is often troublesome because I can't do dramatic looks and expect everything to be alright. But with the help of this little guy, I am starting to see things in a different light. I can honestly say that it was a good investment. ^^
Rating: ☆☆☆☆☆/5