1 June 2014

Review: Chanel Rouge Coco Shine Lipstick - 91 Bohéme.


Annyeonghaseyo! My mother owns and likes a few Chanel lipsticks which is why I was more interested to try them out for myself. She usually limits her liking to whatever lipstick I give her and doesn't demand much, so I was a little curious as to why she enjoyed her Chanel lipsticks so much. I honestly only started paying attention to Chanel when I was in the eighth grade, when Heidi Mount replaced Claudia Schiffer as their face for their Spring 2009 line. I knew about its significance in the fashion world but I somewhat ignored it. Then, I learnt about Freja Beha Erichsen's (my favourite model of all time) association with Chanel and the rest is history.

I went to the Chanel store/shop/whatever you wish to call it over at Phoenix Market City Mall in Chennai, Tamil Nadu while I was holidaying a few weeks ago. I swatched every lipstick, eyeshadow, blush that caught my eye. While the darker, bolder colours were calling out to me, I figured it was time I paid attention to shades that I could actually wear on a daily basis. So, when the lovely girl at Chanel swatched 'Bohéme' from their Rouge Coco Shine range for Spring/Summer 2014, I fell in love at first sight. I believe this collection comprises only of a few lip colours and a nail varnish.

From what I had heard before, the Rouge Coco Shine lipsticks are known to be quite sheer. That is something I do not mind, really, since I am extremely fond of sheer lipsticks. The formula of this lipstick is what won me over. While being sheer, this little guy is so moisturising and forgiving on dry lips that everything else seems secondary. Frankly, 'Bohéme' is a lot more pigmented than the other Rouge Coco Shine lipsticks. It's a lovely candy red hue with slight orange undertones. It's surprisingly buildable and you can achieve a pretty and fresh candy red lip with it. However, if you're afraid of trying out true reds or darker colours, this is the perfect shade for you. I like it particularly because it brightens up my complexion and I can wear it on a regular basis. 


This costs ₹2350 for 3 grams of product. I quite like the packaging. It's a classy combination of black and gold (I was playing Sam Sparro's "Black and Gold" in the background while typing up this post for extra inspiration) and is extremely sturdy.All it takes is a click and it'll be closed and completely safe wherever you put it. 

It mentions in the packaging that it's as light as water on the lips, which is another thing I completely agree with. It's hydrating, weightless, glossy and it makes the lips look fuller and more plump. What I like the most about this particular lipstick is that it combines all the goodness and gorgeousness when you put it on and you actually look like you gave two bits to care for you appearance. In other words, it pulls a look together. And for a lazy and last-minute person like me, it's all that matters.

Rating: ☆☆☆☆/5