16 July 2014

Review: Yves Saint Laurent VOLUPTÉ SHEER CANDY in 'Succulent Pomegranate'.


Annyeonghaseyo! Just a few minutes ago, I was browsing through (and deleting) some old posts. I started blogging around August last year and I have realized that I have slowly been improving. I still remember what my blog looked like in the beginning. Looking back, it was such a sloppy job. But back then, I remember feeling good about it. Almost like right now - I am satisfied with the way the blog looks yet I can't help but fiddle around with the layout, constantly trying to improve it. I do have some major changes scheduled for the blog, but they're on hold for now. Anyway, the point of this paragraph is that while I know that I don't have a whole bunch of followers who read my posts religiously like most other bloggers do, I do have the best ghost readers around and this is something I promise my beloved ghost readers: I will try my best to keep improving the blog. 

This is yet another post about a lip product. Even if blushes are my favourite cosmetic products, I cannot deny the fact that lip products are a close second. A really, really close second. So, I was in Bangalore a couple of months ago, on a much-needed vacation. I was at the Debenhams in one of the malls there. It's called Orion Mall, I think. Don't quote me on that. Anyway, I spent a good amount of time there, checking out all the cosmetic counters, asking the salespeople there endless questions, some of which they found baffling. When I was at the YSL counter, I was blinded by their luxurious packaging and elegant displays. The sales assistant was super nice too, mostly because we learnt that we were both from neighbouring North-Eastern states. Anyway, I had a well thought out list of things I wanted to try from YSL. However, the moment I feasted my eyes on their lipsticks, the list disappeared into the deepest, darkest corner of my brain.


One of my sisters was there with me, at Debenhams, watching me unleash my demonic tendencies as I swatched lipsticks. In fact, she was the one who picked out this particular shade for me. I was swatching some from the ROUGE VOLUPTÉ line too, immediately taking a liking to Rose Culte. I was also silently cheering on the luxurious gold packaging of that line. But I don't remember what happened at the last moment - my sister told me that she liked this particular shade the most and I immediately chose to buy it. I just don't know what possessed me to go for the sheer variant, but I definitely am glad that I wound up choosing this. 

Let's start off with the packaging. It's silver. Yes. At first, I thought that the lights at Debenhams were slightly mental but it turns out, they weren't. The packaging is indeed silver. I was a tad bit disappointed because I kind of wanted the ones with the gold packaging, but I soothed myself by saying that the packaging matched my skin's cool undertone. Anyway, the packaging may be silver, but it's gorgeous nonetheless. There are still gold accents, though. Gold accents along with the shade matching your lipstick adorn the middle part of the lipstick. 

The lipstick is easily one of the best ones I have ever tried. All right. I'll say it. It's the best lipstick I have tried so far. The formula beats those of all my other lipsticks. There! I said it!! There's rosemary extract and pomegranate extract in this along with Gamma Oryzanol to protect the lips from premature ageing. There's also candellila resin in it which forms a thin protective layer on the lips to help lock in the moisture and magnify the color particles on the lips. It's technically a glossy lip balm. I simply call it a sheer lipstick, to pacify my empty purse. 

The shade 'Succulent Pomegranate' is a sheer bright pink with red undertones. I cannot emphasize just how weightless it feels on the lips. It's weightless, extremely hydrating, smells fruity and disposes a lovely wash of colour on the lips. For 4 gram, it cost me ₹2150. Check out more shades here.


I think I'll make a pros and cons list. Like I mentioned before, I was browsing through my old posts and I saw that I did indulge in them quite a bit. So, I'll try that again. 

PROS: 
- Extremely hydrating. 
- Gorgeous sheer wash of colour. 
- Weightless feeling.   
- Fruity scent. 
- Even if the colour fades, the lips still remain intensely moisturised.  
- Gorgeous packaging. 

CONS: 
- None. Nada. Zilch. 

Rating: ☆☆☆☆☆/5